The BIM 360 “next gen” Platform
Since we introduced BIM 360 in 2010, we have expanded the BIM 360 portfolio as a group of products to support construction workflows from pre-construction through handover and operations through our BIM 360 Field, BIM 360 Glue, BIM 360 Plan and BIM 360 Docs services. Each of these services have a common look and feel, and share a common user, company and project administration, but essentially function as separate products. That’s all changing with the “next generation” of BIM 360. BIM 360 has evolved from a set of separate solutions to a construction management platform that offers a more integrated, workflow-focused, “one-product” experience.
You can configure the BIM 360 platform so that each user gets just the features they need on each project. With a new unified administration experience and common user interface across all our features, both administrators and users will save time setting up projects and using BIM 360.
The BIM 360 platform also features a single, common data platform to let you access all of your project information from anywhere in BIM 360. The drawings, models and files that you upload during the design phase can be carried into the construction phase to support RFIs, Submittals, Inspections and more.
On top of all this, we have built a powerful insight and analytics layer. This includes interactive dashboards and reporting, and we will continue to expand our machine learning engine to offer up “early warning” features that alert you to areas of your project that are creating risk and need attention.
The BIM 360 platform has been built in partnership with our customers, and we are excited to share our current roadmap plans for the platform to let you know what we are working on and so you can help us shape the future of BIM 360 by providing your feedback. Click on the links below to see what our development priorities are for each area of the next generation BIM 360 platform:
Let us know what you think
This is an exciting time for BIM 360 as we grow our unified BIM 360 platform. We’re always interested in hearing what’s working for you and where we need to work harder. Let us know what you think about our current initiatives in the comment section below and post suggested enhancements in our “Ideas” forum.
We’ll update this roadmap periodically to give you a progress report on these efforts and introduce new initiatives. And, you can subscribe to our Release Notes forums to get details on any software updates we make.
The BIM 360 Product Team
We are excited to share our roadmaps with our BIM 360 community and the general direction of our development efforts. All we ask in return is that we remind you a few very important things:
This roadmap may make statements regarding future events and development efforts for our products and services. These statements reflect our current expectations based on what we know today. Our plans are not intended to be a promise or guarantee of future delivery of products, services or features and purchasing decisions should not be made based upon these statements. We do not assume any responsibility to update this roadmap to reflect events that occur or circumstances that exist after the publish date of this roadmap.
Our main priorities for Document Management are; to improve the publishing and management experience, enhance document review and approval workflows, and expand our support for Autodesk products and Forge Integrations.
- Upload and Publish Experience
- Improved tracking and reporting with Document Log
- Extended support for managing project Photos and Specifications
- Enhanced Text Recognition – i.e., automatic recognition of sheet numbers and streamlined publishing experience
- Enhance search to include the ability to search any text in any document.
- Support for MS Office files – viewing MS Office files for all users with editing option for Office 365 users
- Folder template enhancements to include permission settings when creating a standard folder structure on new projects
- Connected Workflows
- Enhanced Set Management capabilities for transmitting and downloading transmitted documents
- Review and Approval Workflows to manage documents from “work-in-progress” through to final published documents
- Making it easy to create links to Markups, Issues, RFIs and Change Orders
- Extending support for Autodesk products and Forge integrations
- Continued expansion of Forge APIs to include user permissions, document attributes, and other capabilities such as file locking.
- Enhanced Autodesk Desktop Connector support so that desktop products like Revit, Civil 3D and AutoCAD can manage and save external references and linked files.
- Mobile – we are moving to a single, unified mobile application for document management and field management.
Our main priorities for Design Collaboration are; to add more capabilities to the hypermodel experience, to add issues functionality for review workflows, and to improve the compare tool for a better understanding of the design progress of each collaborating team. Additionally, we plan to support multi-firm collaboration, as well as internal collaboration workflows.
- Hypermodel experience enhancements
- Enabling the “drop-me” tool for view other than floor plans (like structural or ceiling plans).
- A mini-map for a better orientation while navigating the 3D project model.
- 2D content viewable from the 3D project model.
- Revit Camera views accessible from the 3D project model to focus on predefined model views.
- Issues functionality
- Work with issues on a team’s Work-in-Progress data.
- Work with issues on packages from other teams.
- See the same issues in Document Management, and vice versa.
- Work with issues in 2D and in the 3D aggregated model.
- Understanding changes in a team’s design progress
- Access the compare tool easily and directly from a team’s space.
- Compare a team’s Work-in-Progress data with the last designs they shared out.
- Visualize on the timeline which designs are compared against each other.
- Design Collaboration for company internal collaboration
- Support workflows around live-linking of Revit models.
- Enable project timeline with project history for these workflows.
- Enable the aggregated project model experience for these workflows.
Our main priorities for Model Coordination are; to add support for additional model file types, introduce a new object classification feature, improve the clash process with clash grouping and rules for flagging clashes, linking clashes to BIM 360 issues for resolution, and integrate BIM 360 Layout.
- Aggregating Models: Work with multi-format models, adding IFC and other common formats, from all project participants in a single shared project coordination space. Select a subset of the project and view in the LMV for visual inspection and collaboration around model aggregates.
- Automated Clash Detection: Automatically identify clashes between objects and models on the project at time of publish to BIM 360. Display a heatmap view of clash results for all models on the project to identify high risk areas.
- Classifying Model Data: Apply user-defined or industry standard search and classification structures and hierarchies to optimize interaction and insight into your project data.
- Managing Version Changes: Track clashing objects between model versions through to resolution.
- Coordination Issues: Use structured workflow tools to manage and track the ownership, priority, status and resolution of clashes and coordination issues.
- BIM 360 Layout: introduce a new Android mobile app that drives Robotic Total Station & geopositioning hardware for construction site execution workflows and expand Point Layout functionality into Model Coordination.
Our main priorities for Field Management are; to enhance checklists and issues to support quality, safety and punch list workflows, add 2D and 3D locations for checklists and issues, expand Daily Logs to support more sources of data and approval workflows.
- Enhanced checklists and issues
- Account & project libraries for checklists and issues that can be automatically added to new projects
- Version control of templates with the ability to push new versions out to projects
- Custom fields for Issues and Checklists
- Checklist logic that supports separate assignees for different sections plus business rules that control navigation through the checklist based on user responses
- Commissioning checklists that are linked to equipment and systems
- Integrating Field Management issues to be part of a project-wide issue system
- Publish Forge APIs for creating, editing and reading Issues and Checklists
- Importing locations from Revit room schedules
- Linking the nodes on the location list to 2D drawings (floor plans), levels, areas and rooms
- Generating QR codes for location nodes
- Linking the nodes on the location list to 3D models
- Location “reports” that colorize floorplans based on issue or checklist status
- Publish Forge APIs for creating, editing and reading Locations
- Daily Logs
- Enhance existing, weather, labor and notes widgets
- Add progress photos to a daily log
- Add more data widgets (i.e. Safety observations, Completed inspections)
- Add submission/approval workflows for daily logs
- Publish Forge APIs for creating, editing and reading Daily Logs
Our main priorities for Project Management are; to create a new BIM 360 module for Project Management that will include RFIs and Submittals, make the RFI feature more flexible, .
- Enhance the RFI workflow process – re-open answered RFI, void an RFI and create new revision.
- Adding markups to RFIs and linking them to issues and potential change orders.
- Search RFIs by #, title or question.
- Mark attachments as official.
- Upcoming due date email notifications.
- Publish Forge APIs for creating, editing and reading RFIs.
- Bulk actions – edit multiple submittals items and/or packages simultaneously, add multiple items to package, and more.
- Submittal items summary and detail reports for printing or PDF distribution.
- Official and dedicated response by managers and co-reviewers.
- Track relevant dates for approval, site delivery, etc.
- Advanced permissions control – who can create, view and modify submittals.
- Upcoming due date email notifications.
- Publish Forge APIs for creating, editing and reading submittal items and packages.
- Meeting Minutes
- Create and schedule meetings
- Manage agenda topics and action items
- Capture and distribute meeting minutes
- Notification & Email Management
- Notification settings to manage email recipients and frequency
- Respond by email to update issues, RFIs, Submittals, etc.
- View notifications from within BIM 360
- Project “in-box” to capture critical project emails
Our main priorities for Cost Management are; to introduce a new cost management feature set that includes budget and cost items, contract updates, change orders, and budget forecasts.
- Manually create or import budget data from other applications
- Create and generate supplier agreements and subcontracts
- Create and track potential change orders through approval workflows
- Manage and update budget and cost to reflect scope changes
- Report on original vs. current budget and costs
- Forecast cost to complete
- Manage payment applications
- Publish Forge APIs for creating, editing and reading cost items, budget items, contracts and change orders.
Our main priorities for Insight are; build out the reporting tools to include canned reports plus the ability to schedule and distribute reports, provide dashboards to summarize key project data, and our first set of predictive analytics.
- Reporting Features
- Create custom reports
- Schedule recurring reports
- Distribute recurring reports to project team members
- View recent reports
- Checklist & Issue details
- Document Log
- Daily Log
- Submittal Item
- Submittal Item Summary
- Cost Management
- Safety, quality, cost, project controls (documents, RFIs, Submittals, etc.)
- Support for partner dashboard cards
- Predictive Analytics
- Quality & Safety Risk
- Project level and cross-project level analytics
Our main priorities for Administration are; enhanced user & company management and simplifying project set up.
- Easier user & company management
- User groups – save project members into groups so customers can easily share information to that group many times
- Expanded roles – expand the default set of roles to cover common roles across design and construction.
- Customized roles – give customers the flexibility to add new roles and configure default access settings for each role
- Company management – support multiple company addresses
- Simplifying project setup
- Project creation – simplified project creation allowing Account Admins to handover project creation process to Project Admins
- Service activation – allow users to select the set of services they would like to activate, and not have to activate each service individually
- Project templates – standardize project configurations with templates for folder structures, checklists and more.