The June 14, 2016 release of BIM 360 Docs provides powerful new capabilities, including subfolders for the “Plans” and “Shop Drawings” folders, the ability to compare two different 2D sheets, improved accuracy for title block OCR of vector PDF’s, and improved security and control for enterprise customers.
Sub-folders in Plans & Shop Drawings
- Now document managers can better organize and manage project documents thoughout BIM 360 Docs. The new Subfolders capabilities in Plans and Shop Drawings allow you to separate documents into subfolders, such as project phase, discipline, or status (“work in progress” or “shared”).
- Subfolders let users leverage the sheet extraction and OCR capabilities of the special purpose folders for any model or multi-page PDF – whether it is the published current set, or a work in progress design.
For paid subscribers, permissions can be set at the subfolder level, which enables workflows for releasing sheets and models for review while maintaining tight version control and access.
Compare two different 2D Sheets
- On April 29, we introduced the “version compare” feature for comparing two versions of a 2D sheet. Now we have added the ability to compare two different 2D sheets.
- Now, you can compare two different documents, such as Floor 1 against Floor 2, or Architectural drawings against Mechanical drawings, which simplifies 2D coordination.
Issue Management Enhancements
- We have added Issue audit logs in the BIM 360 web user experience. Now all comments, activity and decisions made on issues throughout their workflow are tracked, providing context around how issues are addressed. This makes it easy to find a record of how issues were handled – at any point in a project.
- We have also added filtering and sorting options,. As a project progresses, there can be a large number of issues related to a document or model. Having the ability to narrow the list of issues to a certain date range, assignee, or status will make it easy to find the information you need.
Big Improvements to Title Block OCR Results
- When you upload a multi-page PDF set of project drawings to BIM 360 Docs, we will automatically separate out the sheets into individual documents and OCR the title block for sheet number, sheet title, and any other custom attributes you choose. Customers have asked us to improve the OCR results, and we are delivering on that request for vector PDF’s (which constitute the vast majority of PDF’s used on AEC projects).
- We have improved the processing and title block extraction for vector PDF’s, and we think you’ll agree that the results are significantly faster and more accurate!
Stronger security & control for enterprise users
- For enterprise customers, security and control over their information and users is critical. To support this, two major enterprise-level capabilities have been added to BIM 360 Docs.
- Support for enterprise login for both Web and mobile access means that enterprise customers that have integrated their Active Directory services with Autodesk User Management (AUM) can now simply enter their corporate email address to login to Docs.
- Enterprise account admins can use Mobile Device Management (MDM) with BIM 360 Docs to protect mobile data from getting into the wrong hands and control user app downloads and usage.