The City of Calgary selected Stantec’s team to develop the Plant D Expansion project. The Stantec team consists of Stantec Consulting as Prime Consultant, with key sub-consultant services being provided by CH2M HILL, AECOM and WPC Solutions.
This was a very complex project with many components including the following:
The major components of The Plant D Expansion are outlined below:
- Primary Influent Conveyance; Primary Treatment; and Primary Effluent Conveyance;
- Biological Nutrient Removal;
- Secondary Clarification;
- Effluent Filtration;
- Ultraviolet Disinfection;
- Flood Protection;
- Plant Outfall;
- Chemical and Process Utility Systems;
- Secondary Sludge Thickening; Secondary Sludge Dewatering; Thermal Hydrolysis of Dewatered Waste Activated Sludge; Sludge Blending; and Sludge Digestion;
- Biogas Management;
- Electrical, instrumentation and control, civil, architectural and mechanical requirements associated with the above-mentioned infrastructure.
Project challenges – The previous tools for the project used a combination of 2D and 3D but not parametric / intelligent components.
Several engineering firms needed to collaborate on the project design; and there was limited space on site, as well as new elements that needed to tie into the existing site.
Stantec Consulting as Prime Consultant, with key sub-consultant services being provided by CH2M HILL, AECOM and WPC Solutions split the work in several design areas and deployed a full BIM workflow using the following Autodesk software:
Preliminary and detailed design
- Civil 3D
- Plant 3D
- AutoCAD P&ID
Design coordination & communication
- 3DS Max
Benefits of BIM in the workflow
Benefits provided by model-based workflows
Ability to visualize project challenges virtually and help customer understand the details of the project without look just at 2D plan sets. Project coordination and clash detection and model reviews helped find problems earlier on and facilitate communication of the project earlier on when design changes were being made. Improved quality and consistency between deliverables. Common tools and better work-sharing between offices
Benefits provided by modeling and visualization for communication and collaboration. Model Review: Shortened review times, less comments from clients because they are able to visualize at model review meetings.
- Quickly make design changes in model and updated automatically in designs.
- Clash detection / QA improved quality of the deliverables because most conflicts are found before the designs go on site.
Video courtesy of Stantec
- Better coordination of models resulting in less time required for technical reviews
- Faster production of deliverables resulting from model workflow and Smart P&ID’s
- Better tracking of assets through Smart P&ID’s
- Faster turn-around on visualizations from model workflows
- Estimated 138 hours of savings in reduction of effort in drawing coordination due to model reviews and clash detection.
- Estimation of $100,000 in reduction of labor effort by modeling improvements over 2D drawings. $17,00 in productivity improvements due by automation report creation and plan / section ortho creation.
- PM and time savings elements provide money savings because time=money.