New features in 3ds Max 2020 for Revit users that will allow for faster data import from Revit and better-organized and easier to manage scenes include:
- Combine By options let you combine by material more selectively by choosing:
- Combine by Revit Category and Revit Material
- Combine by Revit Family Type and Revit Material
- Filter dialog now displays the number of nodes that will be created in the scene’s category or family type.
- You can import Revit 2017, 2018, and 2019 files into 2020 without the need to upgrade. Note that the Revit Compatibility pack (for each supported version) needs to be installed on your machine for functionality.
- IES lights imported from Revit are now converted more accurately
- Daylight System Update: We removed reliance on Mental Ray, resulting in a better translation. We now leverage the physical sun and sky, where the translation is done automatically without interruption.
For more info on what’s new specifically for the Revit customer using 3ds Max, see this post and video by Chico Membreno on the 3ds Max 2020 Revit Update.
Everything new in the release is detailed in this 3ds Max road map blog post, which explains how the 2020 version delivers the efficiency, performance, and stability that will speed up your content creation process. The post also gives a view into future development.
You can reference the 3ds Max 2020 Release notes for even more information about what’s new and improved in this release, including performance and animation enhancements.